East TorontoSearch Homes for Sale
Corktown has some of the oldest row-houses in Toronto, dating back to the 1850’s. Most every day shopping items can be found at Queen and Parliament, but for those who would like a larger assortments of choices, Corktown is steps away from the St Lawrence Market and the Distillery District.
There are many recreational opportunities in Corktown. There is the Sackville playground which has a tot park, a basketball park and a wading pool. There are also two nearby community centres St Lawrence Community Centre and John Innes Community Recreation Centre. St Lawrence has a gym, a pool, squash courts, a weight room, a piano room and a games room. John Innes also has a gym, a pool, a running track, a weight room, cardio room, woodworking shop, craft room and a games room.
There is easy access to both subway lines from Corktown. To get to the Yonge-University-Spadina line there are streetcars running frequently on Queen and King Streets. To get to the Bloor-Danforth line, there is the streetcar running along Parliament.
The origin of the name Corktown is from the Irish immigrants who settled in this area in the 1800’s. They came mainly from the Country of Cork in Ireland, which is how the name Corktown was formed. The majority of these settlers were in the working class, working at places such as the local brewery. Since they could not afford much, the community built their own church called “Little Trinity Church” which is still standing at 417 King Street East today. Shortly after, The Trinity Schoolhouse was created, which was the first ‘free school’ in Toronto. Education is still available there; it is now a museum that still looks like a classroom from those times.