West TorontoSearch Homes for Sale
For shopping needs, there is St Clair Gardens, which has plenty of shops, services, cafes and restaurants. Davenport Road also has a few small shops, such as convenient stores and small grocery shops. A few large retail stores have also moved to Keele and St Clair, which is within walking distance for the residents of Carleton Village.
Earlscourt Park offers most of the recreational facilities in this neighbourhood. It has both an indoor and outdoor pool, a gym, an ice rink, tennis courts, a day care and a seniors lounge. Close by, there is Wadsworth Park, which isn’t as big as Earlscourt, but also has a wading pool and a playground. There is the St Clair/Silverthorn Toronto Public Library close by as well, which has programs for children of all ages.
Carleton Village is named after the first Governor of Canada, Guy Carleton. Since the 1850’s, people have spelt the name of the area with or without an “e”- Carleton or Carlton. In the 1860’s, this area began to emerge as a railway and industrial centre. However, in 1889, it became a part of the Town of West Toronto, and then a part of the City of Toronto in 1909.