Captain Samuel Smith owned the area of land in 1800’s that we now know as Trinity Bellwoods. At the time, however, he had named it Gore Vale in honour of Lieutenant-Governer Francis Gore. Part of this area became the land on which Trinity College was built, which is now the park and is how the area got its current name, Trinity Bellwoods. The entrance gates to Trinity Bellwoods Park are actually the original gates of Trinity College, from 1852. This college helped the development into the area as we know it now, and it became completely developed by the early 1900’s.
The typical style of architecture in this neighbourhood is Victorian, and small to medium in size. Most of the residential streets have trees lining the sidewalks, and most houses either front or back Trinity Bellwoods Park. There are also a number of modern lofts available in this area.
For shopping needs, residents can go to the Portugal Village district on Dundas Street, which has many restaurants, bakeries and speciality food stores. Queen Street is full of galleries, bookstores, restaurants, clothing stores, trendy cafes and speciality shops. Another popular shopping area in this neighbourhood is on Ossington Avenue. There are plenty of bars, pubs and cafes, which come alive at night.
The main attraction in this neighbourhood is Trinity Bellwoods Park. There are a number of public facilities including a playground, sports fields, tennis courts, a baseball diamond, a wading pool and an ice rink. There is also the Trinity Community Recreation Centre, which has facilities such as a gym, a track, and a pool.
Niagara Street Junior Public School
Charles G Fraser Junior Public School
Givins/Shaw Junior Public School
St Mary Elementary School
Dundas Street to the north
Bathurst Street to the east
Queen Street to the south
Ossington Avenue to the west
Photos from Trinity Bellwoods/Queen West: