The first residents of the Annex included Timothy Eaton- the founder of the Eaton Centre, and George Gooderham- the president of the Gooderham and Worts Distillery. Until the 1920’s, Toronto’s upper class lived in the Annex, but then they slowly started to move more north toward Lawrence Park and Forest Hill. The Annex is over one hundred years old, and still remains one of Toronto’s more prominent neighbourhoods.
One can find most anything they need in this area. Along Bloor Street there are a number of different types of stores, from boutique clothing stores, to food markets, to service shops, to book stores, to restaurants and cafes, to fast food, to bars and pubs. One can find many one-of-a-kind and specialty shops in this area.
This area attracts people from all over the city, especially at night when people come for the booming nightlife. There are a number of fitness centres for people in the area, such as the University of Toronto athletic centre and the Jewish Community Centre. The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto is also located in this area, which provides programs and services for not only the Native community, but the general public as well. There is the giant Varsity Blues football field in this area as well, home to the U of T Varsity Blues team, which hosts many exciting games.
Huron Street Junior Public School
University of Toronto Schools
Royal St George’s College
University of Toronto- St George Campus
Dupont Street to the north
Avenue Road to the east
Bloor Street to the south
Bathurst Street to the west
Photos from The Annex: