This neighbourhood got its name from a wealthy resident in the 1860′s, whose summer home lay at Eglinton Avenue and Old Forest Hill Road. Until 1923, the area was called “Spadina Heights,” known for its large hill. In 1923, the area was recognized as a village called Forest Hill. It was not until 1967 that Forest Hill became an official part of the City of Toronto, making it one of the last villages of the time to join Toronto
There are plenty of shops, mainly independent boutiques that line the main shopping streets in Forest Hill. Most people go to Spadina, Lonsdale and Eglinton to satisfy their shopping needs. Though there are a number of small boutique shops, one can find less expensive stores as well. These streets are also lined with many restaurants with tastes from all over the world, and other food shops.
The major attraction in this area is the Belt Line Trail. It is perfect for joggers, cyclists, and walkers, as it is over fourteen kilometres long, and connects to areas as far down as Rosedale. Forest Hill is also home to the Forest Hill Public Library, which holds programs for people of all ages.
This is a prime area in the city; just minutes from Eglinton, Eglinton West and Lawrence subways, with busses running frequently to and from the stations. To get out of the city, Allen Road is just a few minutes drive away.
Briar Hill Avenue to the north
Latimer Avenue to the east
Allen Road to the north-west
Marlee Avenue to the south-west
Forest Hill Junior and Senior Public School
Oriole Park Junior Public School
Forest Hill Collegiate Institute
Holy Rosary Elementary School
The Bishop Strachan School
Upper Canada College
Photos from Upper Forest Hill: