Runnymede

History:

A man named John Scarlett was settled in this area in 1808. He built an English cottage style home on the land we now know as Dundas and Runnymede, and named it “Runnymede”. This house is not standing anymore, but many of the buildings in the area have kept its name- Runnymede High School, Runnymede Hospital, and many of the churches. Even after the completion of the Runnymede estate, not many residential houses were built until the early 1900’s. Runnymede also had a Canadian Navy warship named after it in World War II.

Description:

For shopping needs, residents can go to Jane Street, which has plenty of stores including a grocery store, service stores, a pharmacy, variety stores and outlet stores. Nearby, there is Annette Street, which has a large discount store, plenty of restaurants and cafes, salons and professional service offices. Dundas Street also has much to offer, with two plazas, bars, restaurants, repair shops, fitness centres, an LBCO and a large Loblaws.

This area has a lot to offer in terms of recreational needs. There are a few parks located along the Humber River, which have paths for walking, jogging and biking. There are plenty of picnic areas, and even fishing spots in these parks. There is also Runnymede Park, which offers many public facilities, such as a wading pool, large fields, a playground and the George Bell Arena, where many hockey leagues practice. As well, there is the Jane-Dundas Library, which offers many programs for all ages.

Schools:

King George Junior Public School
Runnymede Collegiate Institute
Runnymede High School
Humbercrest Public School
James Culnan Elementary

Boundaries:

Dundas Street to the north
Runnymede Road to the east
Annette Street to the south
Jane Street to the west

Photos from Runnymede: