Lawrence Manor

History:

Lawrence Manor was farmland until the 1940’s when the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation purchased the manor to build houses. Sewers and roads were built and individual lots were sold to buyers in the 1950’s. When the first residents of Lawrence Manor were living there, cows still grazed in the fields at Bathurst and Lawrence. Lawrence Plaza was built in 1953, moving the cows out of the city.

Description:

Bathurst and Lawrence is one of the biggest Jewish shopping areas in the city. There is a plaza on the northeast corner with bookstores, food shops, a drug mart and a large retail store. One can find many kosher food shops and Jewish bakeries in this area. There are shopping opportunities at Bathurst and Wilson as well, with many stores and restaurants, and the Lawrence Plaza has large discount and retail stores.

For recreational needs, Prince Charles Park is located in the middle of the neighbourhood. It has a playground and lots of green space. There is the Barbara Frum Library, which has meeting rooms, an auditorium and multicultural collections for all ages. Combined with the library is the recreation centre, which has plenty of multi-purpose rooms for community groups.

Schools:

John Polanyi CI
Flemington Public School
Lawrence Heights Middle School
Glen Park Public School
Baycrest Public School
German International School Toronto

Boundaries:

401 to the north
Bathurst Street to the east
Lawrence Avenue to the south
Allen Road to the west

Photos from Lawrence Manor: