This area was once part of the Military Reserves of the Town of York. In the 1830’s, the military reserves were auctioned off and a new development plan was created for the area. In the 1850’s, a railway changed the neighbourhood into an industrial and manufacturing centre (which have now been converted into residential and commercial buildings). By the 1990’s, industries relocated, which left King West as a run-down neighbourhood. In 1996, the City of Toronto put a new plan in place to cater to young professionals. The area is now modern and hip.
Residents of the area can satisfy most needs without leaving the neighbourhood. There are art galleries, trendy clothing shops, plenty of restaurants and cafes, grocery stores and food markets among the clubs and bars that come alive at night.
There are a number of parks in the area, such as Clarence Square and St Andrews Market and Playground- which had the first playground for children in Toronto. King West Village is not far from the waterfront, which has trails for biking, jogging and many other activities. The Rogers Centre, ACC and the CN Tower are not far either.
Queen Street to the north
Spadina Avenue to the east
Front Street to the south
Bathurst Street to the west
ALPHA Alternative Junior School
Niagara Street Junior Public School
Charles G Fraser Junior Public School
Ogden Junior Public School
St Mary Elementary
Photos from King West: