Hillcrest

History:

Robert John Turner, an English reformer in the 1840’s, was the first person to settle the land of Hillcrest Village. The house where he lived was named “Bracondale” and is now Hillcrest Park. By 1884, a village had been built around the Turner estate and it became known as Bracondale Village. In 1909, the village became part of the City of Toronto. At this time, Turner’s heirs subdivided the estate and turned it into an exclusive subdivision named “Bracondale Hill Park.” In 1937, the Turner family sold the estate to the City of Toronto and it was then demolished, and Hillcrest Park was created.

Description:

For shopping needs, there are many stores on St Clair, many of which are independent retailers. Davenport and Vaughan also have stores scattered here and there of a convenience store type-nature. There is also the popular Stop Farmer’s Market at Wychwood Barns on Christie Street, which is considered one of the best farmers markets in Toronto. It is open every Saturday all year from 8am to noon.

For recreational needs, there is Hillcrest Park, which has a wading pool, a playground, tennis courts and a beautiful view of the city skyline and Lake Ontario. There is also the Hillcrest Community Centre, which has facilities such as a pool and a gym. The Wychwood Public Library nearby to the Community Centre offers programs for children of all ages. The Artscape Wychwood Barns is a community meeting place that has work space for artists, holds seasonal festivals and farmers markets, not to mention the public facilities such as an ice rink, a stage, beach volleyball courts, a playground and playing fields.

Schools:

Winona Drive Senior Public School
McMurrich Junior Public School
Oakwood Collegiate Institute
Hillcrest Community School
St Bruno Elementary

Boundaries:

St Clair Avenue to the north
Bathurst Street to the east
Davenport Road to the south
Oakwood Avenue to the west

Photos from Hillcrest: