Glen Park

History:

Sir Sanford Fleming was one of Glen Park’s first settlers, the chief engineer of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway. His property was a farm, which he subdivided into the Balmoral subdivision- the first planned subdivision in North York. However, this move was a bit risky, and nothing ever came of the plan. Fleming’s son took over the farm in 1991 and began importing and breeding cattle. The farm became one of the finest stock breeding farms in Canada. In the 1920’s, the area began to turn into a residential neighbourhood after the war.

Description:

The Lawrence Square Shopping Centre has a large supermarket, two department stores and many smaller shops and professional offices. There is also the Lawrence Plaza at Lawrence and Bathurst. It has a department store and a 24-hour food market. This plaza is full of discount and outlet stores. There are shopping opportunities on Dufferin Street, Marlee Avenue and Bathurst Street, which range from Italian to Chinese to Jewish shops.

For recreational needs, there is the Glen Long Community Centre, which has a gym, bocce courts, meeting rooms and a preschool. It is right beside Glen Long Park, which has a hockey rink, a pool and a playground. Viewmount Park and Wenderly Park also have public facilities such as baseball diamonds and playgrounds. There is also the Columbus Centre, which is a community centre that has not only athletic facilities, but an art gallery, a restaurant and meeting rooms.

Schools:

Briar Hill Junior Public School
Fairbank Middle School
Joyce Public School
Glen Park Public School
West Preparatory Junior Public School
Sts Cosmas & Damian Elementary
Regina Mundi Elementary
Fieldstone School

Boundaries:

Lawrence Avenue to the north
Bathurst Street to the east
Eglinton Avenue to the south
CNR to the west

Photos from Glen Park: