Earlscourt

History:

Labourers from the British Isles settled this area in 1906. They worked at local factories and collected materials such as tar and paper to make shacks, until they could afford to build a proper brick house for their families. Each night during these hard times, Reverend Peter Bryce would walk through the muddy streets of Earlscourt with only a lantern and a pair of boots. This was to offer hope and inspiration to the families of the area. When the neighbourhood became a part of the City of Toronto in 1910, conditions in the area improved greatly, and eventually it became the area we know now.

Description:

There is a large Italian district on St Clair Avenue, which has plenty of cafes, restaurants and bistros, along with service shops, boutique clothing shops and specialty food stores. The area is called ‘Corso Italia Shopping District’ and is well known for the many movies that have been filmed in the area.

For recreational needs, there is the popular Earlscourt Park on St Clair. It is 36 acres large and has tennis courts, soccer fields, a baseball diamond, and an ice rink. Right beside the park is the Joseph J Piccininni Community Centre, which also has a soccer field, a pool, a gym and a senior’s lounge. There is also the Dufferin/St Clair Library, which has the largest collection of Italian books in Toronto. There is also the St Clair-Silverthorn Library, which has a wide selection of books in different languages.

Schools:

General Mercer Junior Public School
F H Miller Junior Public School
Regal Road Junior Public School
Stella Maris Elementary
St Clare Elementary
Hudson College

Boundaries:

Rogers Road to the north
Dufferin Street to the east
Davenport Road to the south
Old Weston Road to the west

Photos from Earlscourt: