The first people to reside in Dovercourt in1870, then known as the Village of Dovercourt, were poor immigrants from England. Soon after, the area was known as “Shantytown” because of the shacks that were built by the people living there. In 1910, the City of Toronto took over and helped grow the neighbourhood.
Many of the houses in this neighbourhood were built as single-family homes, but have been converted into apartments. The houses are typically brick and Edwardian-style architecture.
All shopping needs can be found in Bloorcourt Village, from Montrose Ave to Dufferin St on Bloor St. One can find restaurants, grocery stores, boutique shops and convenient stores along this stretch. There is also the Galleria Mall at Dupont and Dufferin which has many clothing stores, including a department store.
Dovercourt Park, located in the middle of this neighbourhood, has a playground, sports fields, tennis courts, a baseball diamond, and a wading pool. In the winter, it even has an ice rink. The Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club also meets at this park, for children of most ages, to participate in activities such as sports and arts and crafts. In this neighbourhood, there is also a Toronto Public Library- the Bloor Gladstone branch, which holds many programs for all ages.
Ossington and Dufferin subway stations are in walking distance from most points in the area. Both Bloor and Dufferin Streets offer easy access to the rest of the city by car.
Dovercourt Public School
Bloor Collegiate Institute
Kent Senior Public School
Pauline Junior Public School
Dupont Street to the north
Ossington Street to the east
Bloor Street to the south
Dufferin Street to the west
Photos from Dovercourt Park: