The First Nations people used to refer to the Deer Park area as “Mushquoteh,” meaning a meadow in the woods where deer come to feed. In 1837, the Heath family bought a large piece of the area, and named their estate Deer Park. The area began to grow so much that by the 1850’s there were stores, a race track, and a hotel. However, by the time the area became a part of the City of Toronto in 1908, the deer moved on. By the 1950’s, the neighbourhood was becoming known as one of the finest residential areas in Toronto.
There is plenty of shopping in the Yonge and St Clair area. There are high profile retailers, upscale restaurants, services and grocery stores. There is also the St Clair Centre, The Towne Mall and Delisle Court, which also offer shopping and restaurants.
For recreational needs, there is the Rosehill Reservoir, which has beautiful views of the nearby buildings, a large green space with flowerbeds and a pool lined with cobblestones. Around the Reservoir is David Balfour Park, which has a path for joggers, cyclists and walkers. There is a playground and easy access to the Vale of Avoca Ravine, which has a hiking trail along a creek. Oriole Park, located north of the area, has a playground, tennis courts, a wading pool and easy access to the Belt Line.
Deer Park Junior and Senior Public School
Brown Junior Public School
Whitney Junior Public School
Cottingham Junior Public School
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Elementary School
The York School- Lower School
The York School- Upper School
The Dalton School
Oriole Park to the north
Yonge Street/Mt Pleasant Cemetary/Rosehill Reservoir to the east
Farnham Avenue to the south
Avenue Road/Oriole Parkway to the west