The Danforth

History:

The area just north of the Danforth was originally held by the Church of England, however the land south of the Danforth was owned by the families who were in farming or brick making. The area gets its name from Asa Danforth who was an American contractor who built Kingston Road in 1799. After the area became a part of the City of Toronto in 1908, the growth of the neighbourhood skyrocketed. The Bloor-Danforth subway line was built, and opened in 1966.

Description:

The Danforth is also known as Greektown. Many people come to the area to experience authentic Greek food. There are many restaurants, cafes and bakeries for people to get a taste of Greece. Along Danforth, there are many discount stores, as well as boutique shops, and service shops. One doesn’t have to go for to find what they are looking for. There is also Shoppers World nearby, which is a large discount mall. The area puts on many markets and events, selling food, clothing, art, jewellery and the like.

Monarch Park has many public facilties for the active residents. There is an ice rink, a pool and a wading pool, along with lots of wide green spaces. There is also the East Toronto Atheletic Field, which has many sports fields, and the Ted Reeve Hockey Arena is located right beside the field. There is also the Earl Beattie Community Centre, which has a pool and a gym. Residents can also enjoy Riverdale Park East, which is one of Toronto’s largest parks. It has plenty of public facilities, including tennis courts, large fields, a pool, an ice rink and a running track. There is also the Pape/Danforth Public Library, which hosts a number of programs for children.

Schools:

Frankland Community School
Pape Avenue Junior Public School
East Alternative School of Toronto
Eastdale Collegiate Institute
Holy Name Elementary School

Boundaries:

Milverton Boulevard to the north
Victoria Park Avenue to the east
CNR to the south
Greenwood Avenue to the west

Photos from The Danforth: