Cricket Club

History:

A Scottish man named Andrew McGlashan in the 1800’s originally settled this area, specifically at Yonge and York Mills. In 1876, a man named Andrew Bathgate purchased the property and sold it to William Gooderham, the owner of the Gooderham and Worts Distillery. Gooderham discovered a spring of fresh water in the area, so he set up Mineral Springs Ltd and bottled and sold the water around the world until the 1920s. Gooderham also helped set up the Cricket Club in 1925, which used to only be for skating and curling.

Description:

Great shopping areas surround the Cricket Club. There is plenty of shopping along both Yonge Street and Avenue Road. They are full of boutique shops, gourmet restaurants and cafes, professional offices and services, gift shops, hardware stores, supermarkets, drug stores, specialty food stores, toy shops and the list goes on. There is also the hub of Yonge and Eglinton close by. There are plenty of shopping opportunities there as well.
For recreational needs, there is the Armour Heights Community Centre on Avenue Road. It offers a range of different programs such as dance lessons and childcare. There is also the Armour Heights Public Library located inside the centre. If interested in golfing, there is the Don Valley Golf Course nearby. Of course there is the Cricket Club as well. It is one of Toronto’s premier private clubs. It has plenty of facilities such as tennis and squash courts, a skating rink, a pool, lawn bowling, aerobics, croquet and different dining facilities.

Schools:

John Wanless Junior Public School
Armour Heights Public School
Loretto Abbey Secondary
The Dunblaine School
York University- Glendon Campus

Boundaries:

Wilson Avenue to the north
Yonge Street to the east
Brooke Avenue to the south
Avenue Road to the west

Photos from Cricket Club: