Bloor West Village used to be owned by Lieutenant Colonel William Smith Durie, who was the first commanding officer of the Queens Own Rifles, in the 1850’s. The street that was situated by his estate is now called Durie Street. In 1909, the neighbourhood became a part of the City of Toronto, and it began to develop into the area we know now.
The most successful and oldest BIA in Canada is the Bloor West Village Business Improvement Area. It has hundreds of both independent and chain restaurants, cafes, shops and professional services. There are many specialty shops as well, including bakeries and delicatessens. Jane Street and Annette Street also have much to offer, including fruit and vegetable markets, convenience stores, and service shops such as dry cleaners.
For recreational needs, High Park is within walking distance from this neighbourhood. It offers many picnic areas, gardens, sports facilities, a mini train, a pond, and a mini zoo. There is Annette Recreation Centre, which has a pool, a gym and a baseball diamond. Close to the Rec centre, there is the Annette Street Public Library, which offers programs for all ages.
Runnymede Junior and Senior Public School
Ursula Franklin Academy
St. Pius X Elementary
High Park Day School
Swansea Junior and Senior Public School
Annette Street to the north
Runnymede Road to the east
Bloor Street to the south
Jane Street to the west
Photos from Bloor West Village: